Birmingham Adoption Attorneys
What is the Process for Adopting a Child in Alabama?
An adoption is a process whereby a parent-child relationship is created through a valid court order. Some adoption proceedings involve interfamily adoptions or stepparent adoptions, while some may involve an individual or a couple who desires to adopt a child from birth parents who have made the decision to place their child for adoption, or are otherwise unable to care for that child.
The requirements for adopting a child in Alabama are:
- The adopting guardian must be over 19 years old,
- If the adopting guardian is married the marriage must be at least 3 years old,
- At least one of the married must be a U.S. Citizen,
- The adopting guardian must provide proof they are of adequate health & have adequate housing for the child,
- The adopting guardian must submit to a criminal & background check.
If all requirements are met, the adoption process includes:
- An adoption application,
- The adopting guardian will be contacted regarding "Trauma Informed Partnering for Permanence and Safety" (TIPS); a program that informs potential guardians about the challenges of adopting a child and management techniques,
- Family profile and home study completion,
- Pre-placement child visit where the adopting guardian is able to interact with the child as a way to evaluate the match,
- Lastly, if a placement is made, after 3 months the adopting guardian may complete legal proceedings to legally adopt the child.
No matter the case, we are always honored to take part in helping a family grow through the adoption process. Schedule a consultation with our firm today. Our team is here to guide you through this process from beginning to end.
“He is well-respected, professional, courteous, ethical and he knows his stuff and how to present it. He is very effective in the courtroom.”- Former Client
“These woman are a team. I can not thank them enough for helping me at the same time being my therapist. They constantly reminded me of my worth. Thanks everyone!”- Jessica W.
“Not only do they deeply care about the case, they care about me and my family. They're definitely someone you want on your side and I highly recommend them!”- Tina B.